Chef Training And Education Requirements

Finding out what kind of chef you want to be is one thing, but being able to prove your skills as a professional cook is another! Before jumping into working in restaurants it is important to make sure that you are well trained and certified as a culinary professional. There are several ways to gain this certification, some free while others can cost money depending on how competitive the field is for you to enter.

The more training that you have under your belt, the higher your chances of getting hired will be! The best way to ensure that you’re prepared is by doing research and making sure that you’ve covered all of the basics. In this article, we will go over the different types of chef training and education requirements, who requires them, and what employers look for when they do apply for a job.

Chef education requirements

In addition to being licensed as a professional chef, there are also educational requirement for anyone wishing to work in the field. These include either an associate’s degree or certification as a personal cook. Both of these require two years of study, but only count towards employment if you have at least one year under your belt as a professional cook.

There are several routes into becoming a culinary expert and educating yourself about food. Some schools offer courses that are directly related to working in restaurants so they can be more easily obtained than having to find a job first!

Many experienced chefs have self-taught themselves basic skills like baking, cooking, and the chemistry of ingredients. By adding these to their repertoire, they were able to take advanced classes later. The best way to learn is by doing, which means starting with something simple then moving onto more complex recipes.

What is the CERT?

The Certified Executive Restaurant Trainer (CERT) designation comes from the Global Institute of Culinary Technology (GICT). GICT was founded in 1990 by three former Disney chefs that wanted to spread their culinary knowledge and career possibilities. They created the certification program so professionals could demonstrate higher education, as well as professional experience in restaurant management, food service or hospitality related fields.

The CERT status requires at least two years of full-time work in the field with several months under your belt serving as a trainer. You must also have attended an accredited educational institution and received formal training beyond the basics such as how to cook and bake. This includes things like pastry making, baking, cooking, nutrition, etc.

What is the CJO?

The Certified Junior Level Officer (CJLO) designation comes three years after the CIOS, which are two levels below that of CPO. Like their more experienced counterparts, candidates must be licensed as a professional chef.

However, they do not have to be at the intermediate level or beyond. All applicants must be 21 years old and work under an officer one year. This can either be as a sous-chef or commis in the field as a line cook.

Candidates must also pass a certification exam given by AACC — the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. This test covers basic business concepts such as leadership, communication, time management, teamwork, etc.

What is the CMSP?

The Certified Master of Safety Professionals (CMSP) certification is an accredited professional designation for individuals who demonstrate through their education, experience, and conduct that they meet high standards in safety management practices.

The International Association of Administrative Officers (IAAO), which administers this credential, requires that candidates pass both the written and practical examinations before being awarded the certificate.

Candidates must be at least 21 years old when applying to take the exam. They also have to work in an office setting or as a manager of employees to qualify.

Bachelor’s degrees are not enough; all candidates must hold a graduate degree — either from a university or a certified educational provider.

Most master’s programs include some sort of coursework related to leadership, but no formal studies exist regarding the CMSP. A few universities offer courses with content similar to what is found in the practical examination.

What is the CCSP?

The Certified Cooking School Professional (CCSP) designation comes from the International Association of Culinary Schools. There are very specific requirements for this certification, but what most people refer to as the “Chef” credential is actually called the Bachelor of Science in Applied Cookery.

This 2-year degree program requires students to take 4 courses in culinary arts, 1 course outside the field of culinary studies, and 3 professional cooking courses. Students must also have an associate’s or higher degree before applying for the BSAC.

What is the CCP?

The Certified Culinary Professional (CCP) designation comes from the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACPA). There are over 1,000 culinary schools across the globe that offer professional level courses with certification. Only professionally trained chefs can call themselves “culinary professionals” so this is clearly an important credential for anyone interested in learning more about the food industry.

The IACP certifies individuals as either a Level One or Level Two CCP. Levels one and two differ slightly but both require at least a bachelor’s degree in any field other than cooking! This includes fields like nutrition, dietetics, food science, hospitality management or business administration.

Level one requires only six months to obtain, while level two requires twelve months. Both take place under strict guidelines that make it very difficult to be certified without enough education. These include requirements such as taking several years beyond your undergraduate degree to qualify, plus working as a cook or in another related position before applying.

Overall, being certified is a great way to establish yourself as a trustworthy source for knowledge around the kitchen. Even if you don’t plan on becoming a chef, people will know you have some background in the field which is always a good thing.

What is the CQI?

chef training and education requirements

The Certified Quality Institute (CQI) certification is an organization that promotes professional development through education courses and exams. There are over 100 certifications offered by the CQI, many of which are in food service.

The most well-known CQI is the Certification as a Specialist in Food Service Operations. This 4-year program requires you to take at least 18 credits outside of classroom settings, such as online learning or self-learning. You must also pass a proficiency exam and show proof of experience within the past two years to be considered for certification.

But there are several other levels of the CQI beyond this! For example, what about Baking and Pastry Arts Professional Certificate? Or Culinary Management Certificate? These all require students to demonstrate competency in both curriculum and workplace with verified experiences.

What is the CCPP?

The Certified Pastry Chef Professional (CCPP) designation comes from the International Association of Culinary Professionals, which has over 3,000 members worldwide. Only about 1% of people are credentialed as pasty chef professionals!

pastry chef

The association offers both certification and endorsement programs. An endorsement means someone other than the organization can attest to your skills as a pastry cook or chocolate maker. For example, they could say that you are skilled in baking with sugar, making desserts, and decorating cakes professionally.

While the CPCA does not endorse specific schools nor training facilities, it does require that candidates for its certification program have graduated either from an accredited culinary school or received professional level teaching credentials such as those awarded by regional accreditation agencies like the Higher Learning Commission (for colleges) and the Accredidation Council for Career Development (for universities).

What this essentially means is that only students who successfully completed a degree in cooking or baking are eligible to be certified. A lot of schools now offer degrees exclusively in one area- typically food service management, business administration, marketing, or hospitality. These overall preparation courses make graduates more marketable because employers look for workers who know how to run a dining room or hotel.

There are two levels of CCPP certification: beginner and intermediate. Both award individuals with a certificate verifiable through the international association’s website. Recipients of the certificates must agree to abide by certain guidelines and regulations as well.